Saturday, February 7, 2009

SilverBall Heroes vs. Video Invaders

Turns out I have an upper respiratory infection, which requires me to take an assload of pills (antibiotics, steroids, and other goodies) and drink like a fish. So while I've been lying low today working on that, I ran across this blast from the past:



This is the last six minutes of a 1982 film called Arcade Attack. You can find out more about it here.

The last time I saw this was when I was five. I'd gotten up before dawn and trudged out to the TV in the front room. Kept the overhead light off and turned the TV on with the sound really low to not wake everyone else up. Probably didn't catch any of the earlier parts of the movie, but I'm not sure any context or anything would have lessened the impact this had on me. The silver pinball character stayed with me the most over the years. Once the internet came along, I'd search every so often for clues on what the hell this was. Finally I hit on the right term combo, and voila! Arcade Attack.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I originally downloaded this off Usenet years ago, which I think was the original source of this .avi that's been doing the rounds. I remember asking the original poster who had converted it from a VHS tape where on Earth he'd got it, and he thought it was from a "bargain bin" in some video shop. He disappeared after that and all my other questions were left unanswered.

    For what it's worth, I spent ages trying to trace the production company and / or any of the people featured in it, but drew blanks.

    I think that the pier at the start is Brighton's, as it was, and one of the arcades is / was "The Crystal Rooms" which was in Leicester Square. I'm sure there's a shot of Battersea Power Station in there too.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete